Tuesday 3 April 2007

KJ proves why bigger is not always better...

My boy and I went to see another show at NIDA last night, Chekov’s The Three Sisters directed by Kevin Jackson. It was definitely the best presentation of a Chekov play I have seen done at NIDA in the 4 years I have been going to plays there. The actors were all excellent – no one let the show down. The costumes were elegant and appropriate and showed that simple is often better. The silhouettes of the three girls in particular were really stunning– very stark and pared down. I really loved the way KJ made innovative use of the studio (which is actually a TV/Sound studio, not a performance space). I had never noticed the curtains in there before but he used them to beautiful effect. Again the absence of a “set” actually added to the show giving it a beautiful simplicity. It was one of those productions that made you view a classic play in a new fresh light. I loved it!!! It really cheered up an otherwise miserable day. xx

No comments: