Friday 13 April 2007

Pierre Carlet de Chamblain de Marivaux and the extravagant pink dancing flamingos

I didn’t keep up my resolution to do a review of every play I went to see.
That is because obviously I am a bit crap and I was tired.

I went to see a play on Tuesday and didn’t tell anyone about it!

It was again at NIDA (hey – we get in free ok?)
It was called “The Game of Love and Chance” by Pierre Carlet de Chamblain de Marivaux, (yeah.. him…) translated by David Clendinning and directed by Aubrey Mellor who I worked with last year on “Hamlet”.
Basically it was fabulous. The cast was great, the direction was wonderful, the set was beautiful, the frocks were extraordinary (well done Jude and Gabby), my blue coat looked pretty good (better then expected actually), I laughed a lot and there were puppeteered flamingos. Basically what more could you hope for from a night at the theatre?

This is the official NIDA blurb: Marivaux is considered one of the great masters of the analysis of love in French theatre, and the thrilling pursuit of desires is played out in this sparkling jewel of the French classical theatre. With set and costume designs inspired by Art Nouveau style and artists such as Gustav Klimt, The Game of Love and Chance is an exploration of ludicrous eccentricity, folly and romance.

If you ask for my comment, I agree! Many stars!

No comments: