Tuesday 22 May 2007

crying and laughing and crying and laughing.....

I saw a really remarkable piece of theatre last night, the kind that is life affirming and life changing. The kind of production where you come out of the theatre either shaking with emotion or drenched in tears. Its such a rare experience to feel like something inside you has changed – whether you understand more or you feel more – just because of a story. That’s what I felt like last night.

Holding the man is a story about two young men who fall in love at the age of 15 and spend the next 15 years with their lives intertwined trying to discover who they are and what they mean to each other. It has to be one of the most wonderful love stories I have ever seen. It's actually based on the autobiography of Timothy Cosgrave – a young Australian actor (and NIDA graduate) and a playwright but the play has been adapted from the novel by Tommy Murphy who I went to uni with and who is a really talented (and nice) guy. I highly recommend going if you can convince someone to sell you their ticket!!!
For a wonderful review go here and for info go here!

3 comments:

Mz. B.Trousers said...

Sounds fantastic!
Remindes me of that NIDA 'Closer' that we saw, you did costumes for - I thought at the start that the actors were terrible, and weren't enaging me and weren't going to get a response from the end. But somehow, somewhere, they climbed in my heart and at the end of the play I was in tears.
I love that live theatre can do that to you. We're so used to TV and film...

Anyway, that's a rant for a different part of the 'net.

So, tickets sold out then?

That Lear I saw was horrid, BTW. Blagh.

Miss Jimmy said...

It is a really wonderful show. If you get a chance you should go - I know its sold out for Fri and Sat but they may still have tix today and thursday. And I think there is a saturday matinee which may be available. Check out the opera house site.

Closer is a great play btw. Better as a play then a film.
Looking forward to Trashfieldiness...xxxxxxxx

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

I think it was Conisgrave?

anyway, didn't get to see the play when it ran earlier. read the book when it first came out. talk about a beautiful, beautiful story.