Thursday 22 March 2007

I have big books too!

YAY! I have new books! I was very naughty and ventured into Dymocks on my way from delivering Cassock material to the Church Stores in the Dymocks Building. Once you cross the threshold of the wonderous bookshop you know that money wil be spent. Usually I try and avoid going in but today I have zippo willpower. At least it could be said that books are better for the size of my bottom then chocolate - except that I end up sitting on it for longer...

So today in my foray into Dymocks I got three for the price of two. I decided to go for the ones my creative writing class recommended/commented on!
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (hugely recommended by all - even the annoying girl who asks dumb questions)
A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian by Marina Lewycka (they weren't sure about this one but much discussion was forthcoming)
and
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (apparently heavy going but an interesting exercise in point of view and plot)

I just wish I had time to read them now! In about three months time I may even give you a review!

5 comments:

Janice Harayda said...

Did you know that Audrey Niffenegger also contributed to "Mr. Wrong: Real-Life Stories About the Men We Used to Love," a collection of essays by well-known female writers (including Jane Smiley) on their ex-boyfriends, husbands, lovers or what-have-you? It has lots of good writing in it. "Mr. Wrong" came out just before Feb. 14 here in the States, and its publisher called it an "anti-Valentine's Day" book. (It's definitely one for those girly moods.) Maybe you'll want to take a look at it if you like AN's novel? Or maybe one of your visitors has seen it and could leave a comment on your blog about whether others should check it out?

Thanks a million for the link, too. You have a fun site!
Jan Harayda
One-Minute Book Reviews
www.oneminutebookreviews.wordpress.com

harry said...

I read the time traveller´s wife.
It was a neat idea, but a bit too girly for my manly self.

Also... doh,spoiler.
(waiting three months)

Sarah Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Jane said...

Arrrgggg! Blogger didn't like my last post. So here it is again:

I have big books too!! < snicker >

Your title audibly cracked me up (giving my workmates more proof that I've lost it). Yay for books! I heard Cloud Atlas is good but haven't had the time for it yet. Let me know how it goes.

PS: LOVE the stripey frock!!!

fliss said...

I love Time traveller's wife - ended up on my faves list in fact. Hope you enjoy it when you get to it... The latest Katherine Kerr is out too! We may even get to the end of the series before the decade is out...