Monday 4 June 2007

“ Capture the flag” at the Old Fitz or Schmitz redeems himself

Nicko and I went to see Capture the Flag by Toby Schmitz on its closing at the Old Fitzroy Hotel this weekend. We were keen to go for numerous reasons : -
It sounded interesting in the blurb – three Hitler Youth members trapped beneath the city, trying to survive in the sewer as Berlin falls.
Anthony Gee from my year at NIDA was in it and I love seeing people from uni in plays!
Toby Schmitz was the author of a play at NIDA 2 years ago called Grazing the Phosphorous which was pretty awful. I don’t think this was his fault as apparently he was not available to be able to do re-writes and I think the director chopped it yup quite a lot. We thus wanted to give him another chance.

I was glad we did. “Capture the flag” was a really interesting night at the theatre. The play was well written but a little slow in places, but it did keep your interest and you were drawn in to the lives of the boys. The set was great – especially having the sewer full of real water and the Old Fitz feels like a basement anyway. The sound was really cool – Nicko’s teacher Jed was the sound designer and it really was one of those productions where you notice the sound and it really helps in building the world of the play. I was feeling thankful that I was not the costume assistant as all the characters end up in the water, bits get ripped off their clothes etc.etc. Rather them then me! Clothes were pretty good though for a small show. They did their job.
I would say go and see it, but its finished! If you want to read a more professional review, go here! But if you haven’t been, its definitely worth checking out a play or having a Laksa at the Old Fitzroy

No comments: